SINGULAIR® COMPROMISED OUR CHILDREN'S MENTAL HEALTH
Our children suffered horrible adverse reactions to the popular asthma and allergy drug Singulair (montelukast sodium) manufactured by Merck & Co., Inc. While taking this drug, our sons and daughters developed symptoms consistent with behavioral, developmental, emotional, learning, anxiety, mental, and mood disorders. Some expressed suicidal thoughts and behaviors, and some took their own lives. Many of our children were misdiagnosed for years because neither we,nor our children's doctors, had the information necessary to correctly identify their physical and behavioral symptoms as adverse reactions to Singulair. With the exception of the children that we lost, our children experienced a remission of symptoms when they stopped taking Singulair.
We have witnessed firsthand the crippling and devastating effects an adverse reaction to Singulair can have on children and families, and are committed to helping prevent what happened to our children from happening to anyone else.
Parents United for Pharmaceutical Safety and Accountability:
• raises awareness of the side effects of Singulair/Montelukast
• advocates for a "black box" warning about neuropsychiatric side effects and a Medication Guide for Singulair/Montelukast
• opposes over-the-counter approval for "Singulair Allergy"
• advocates for FDA regulation of the Consumer Medication Information distributed by pharmacies, and legislation to create an effective and accountable system to expedite medication information updates to consumers, physicians, and pharmacists.
• advocates for research to: (1) determine how Singulair causes side effects (2) determine whether Singulair can cause long term or permanent problems (3) identify possible withdrawal symptoms (4) identify risk factors for an adverse reaction